Forget about roses — nothing says love like a well-stocked gear closet and a weekend spent outdoors.
Let’s be honest, Valentine’s Day is a made-up holiday. It causes undue stress and is often marked by hurried, last-minute shopping for junk no one wants or needs.
Ditch the imported flowers, forgo the subpar chocolates, and make it a day worth celebrating. We’ve rounded up some of our favorite getaway ideas and gear that all the outdoor-lovin’ people in your life will appreciate.
Whether that special person is the buddy you share a tent with on the trail or the person you’ve pledged to spend eternity with, these outdoorsy ideas are sure to make them smile.
In our minds, the best part of Valentine’s is the reminder to do something fun and special together, preferably outside. Here are our top choices.
Gift a National Parks Pass (and visit a park). Does your partner absolutely love national parks? Invest in an NPS Parks Pass ($80) for free entry to any one of the 64 U.S. national parks for an entire year. Then, plan a park getaway with your SO.
Book a Hipcamp getaway. Find the ultimate getaway spot with Hipcamp. From yurts to cabins to rustic campsites to tiny homes, there’s a bit of everything. And with more than 300,000 listings across the country, odds are good you’ll find a memorable camping (or glamping) spot. You can search Hipcamp sites by locale, type of accommodation, or included perks (did someone say fire pit?!).
Rent a GoCamp campervan. Why not blend a national park experience with a luxe camp setup? Available for the California, Washington, Colorado, and Arizona markets, GoCamp has a variety of off-road and adventure-ready Mercedes Sprinters, Dodge ProMasters, Ford Transits, Eurovans, Vanagons, and more! Outfitted for comfort and fun, this could be the perfect getaway gift.
Get a guide for a day. Budget not an issue? Book a ski, whitewater, or climbing guide for a day at your favorite mountain, river, or crag. The memories you’ll make will last forever.
Sign up for an REI class or course. Has your adventure buddy been wanting to try something new? Join a lead climbing clinic, snowshoe outing, get WFR certified, and more with REI. Pricing is discounted for members, and some are even free!
Local gear shops offer year-round classes too, so be sure to browse more options near you.
Give a ski or snowboard tune-up. Nothing says I love you like a hot wax (for your skis or board!). Get your SO a gift card or appointment for a tune-up at your local ski shop or favorite mountain resort. You’ll help get their winter gear in tip-top shape, without any heavy lifting, and they’ll get a gift they can enjoy the next time you head out in the snow.
Retailers like REI and evo offer tuning, waxing, mounting, base repairs, and more.
Valentine’s Gear Gifts
If you’re really set on giving your special someone a physical gift on Valentine’s Day, check out some of our favorites here. Bonus: Many of these gifts are also on sale.
- QALO Silicone Rings (20% off): Wear a wedding ring without worrying about loss or damage during even the most intense outdoor activities. QALO’s rings are made of temperature-tolerant and durable silicone and come in dozens of colors, styles, and sizes. The discount is applied once in your cart.
- Hydro Flask Lunch or Picnic Totes (40% off): Pack your special someone some aprés snack and drinks for whatever activity you have planned for the day, and gift it in this snazzy cooler tote. Hydro Flask’s softshell totes come in 8L or 20L sizes and are insulated with a waterproof fabric exterior and a zippered closure to keep the cold in.
- Cairn Subscription Box (get one month free!): Subscribers can get one, gift one for Valentine’s Day this year with the code GOGO. Get a 1-, 6-, or 12-month subscription, and receive a free month of Cairn to gift to a special someone. The offer runs through March.
- Sierra Designs Frontcountry Bed Duo ($300): This is definitely a gift for sharing. If you and your partner have ever been tempted to zip your sleeping bags together, this “frontcountry bed” might be worth investing in. The coolest part? No zippers at all, and there’s an integrated blanket.
- SAXX Underwear (free shipping): If you’re a more intimate gift giver, consider giving SAXX’s new Mega Lux cashmere-blend undies. Or, find free shipping on a variety of styles now.
- Solo Stove Bonfire (25% off): Curl up ’round this well-ventilated, smokeless fire pit from Solo Stove. Whether you live somewhere with a snowy winter backdrop or somewhere with more mild weather, this is a great romantic gift option. (Don’t forget the marshmallows!)
- Wise Owl Double Hammock (up to 30% off): Be as snug as two bugs in a rug in this two-person hammock. Lounge, swing, or camp with your adventure buddy right by your side.
- Third Eye Headlamp Straps ($12): Know someone who adventures at all hours of the day and night? Get your special someone a unique headlamp band. Third Eye’s straps are one inch wide and fit most headlamps (including Black Diamond, Petzl, and Princeton Tech).
Hungry for More?
Check out these edible gift ideas. No, we aren’t talking about those giant cookie cakes. We’re talking everything from post-run goodies to a backpacker’s dream spread. Show your loved one how you feel about them with these packable and delicious meals, drinks, and snacks.
Looking for more gift ideas? Check these out: